Touch ups: Ker SPLATT!!


Old
New


Been working on the touch-ups.  I have till April 22nd for my grade to complete them!  This was the worst of all the paintings.  I just did this new version yesterday.

Problems with old:
  • Hippo's head was too big
  • The background was too dark
  • Everything felt over-saturated
  • The watermelon on the bottom right wasn't necessary and caused confusion
  • The two "squirts" were getting lost with the dark background and they were way too big as well
  • Everything felt crammed together, needed more space
  • Highlights on hippo's brow were too much
  • Watermelon under hippo's left armpit (our left) was causing tangents (lines intersecting awkwardly)



Solutions on new:
  • Removing all the above 
  • Lightening the background and making it green
  • Putting yellow behind Hippo at the focal point to draw attention (yellow and purple are complementary colors)
  • The lightened background helps all other images pop out such as the splash and watermelons, bird, etc


Etc!   :)

4 comments:

  1. Certainly a lot clearer, Ginny. Thanks again for the design tips and reasoning behind the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Roelant!! Thanks as always for your comments and support!

      Delete
  2. Definitely much better! Great job! How did you find out that the old illustration can be improved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Yeah way better huh?

      I found out because.... well it was obvious for one thing. But I didn't know how to fix it, I only knew that this was the page I hated the most of all the illustrations for this book. I meet every week with my advisor, Don Seegmiller, and he critiques my art and gives me feedback. He helped me figure out what I can do to improve this one. So I just followed his tips and advice. :) Which I was VERY grateful for. I remember when I showed him the older one, I was like, "This is the one I don't want to show you.... I hate it.... but I can't figure out how to fix it!" haha

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!